As the new year begins the staff of Cultivating Roots are looking forward to our second year with anticipation and excitement! We learned a lot in our first year and are taking time to plan for 2015.
But, before we get swept away with 2015, we would like to take a quick look back at 2014.
- Over 250 lbs of produce was distributed to the Youth Garden Crew and Pacific Court Neighborhood Tenants.
- Over $1800 of local materials were donated to build our raised garden beds.
- Master Gardeners volunteered over 20 hours working closely with 12 youth over the course of the summer to make sure our garden was fruitful.
- Cultivating Roots increased staffing! In August Julia Brice and myself, Kristina Alnajjar, joined the team. Julia is a Jesuit Volunteer/AmeriCorps member who will be working primarily as the Garden Manager. I will be working as the Program Coordinator.
- Housing Authority of Grays Harbor generously provided land, water and enthusiasm to Cultivating Roots.
- Garden Crew members hosted a Community BBQ to celebrate the end of the summer. There were games, great food and crew-lead garden tours.
- Aberdeen High School Horticulture Class grew our vegetable starts.
- GRuB provided invaluable hours of technical assistance for our youth program.